Thursday, August 18, 2011

That's What Family's For

When you think about an entire family being sick, there's a joke that the biggest baby out of all will be....the husband.  It's funny, a little mean, but usually true.  This past weekend, though, Jeremy took sickness by the reigns.

I was at my friend's bridal shower / cooking class at Central Market.  The only person I knew at the shower was Monica, the bride.  We had only been cooking for about an hour when I started to feel symptoms of what I thought was low blood sugar.  I tried to play it cool, but it was obvious to people around me that I wasn't feeling well.  The last thing I wanted, though, was to be the drama queen at the party.  I went to the restroom to compose myself when I suddenly found myself kneeling in front of the toilet.  Ugh! 

Once I got up, I felt absolutely fine.  I washed up and rejoined the party.  About 15 minutes later, though, my symptoms hit me again.  I felt like I wanted to cry, roll up in a ball, and pass out.  I went into the hallway and called my mother-in-law, Sally, who lives a whole lot closer to Central Market than I do.  I was hoping she could pick me up.  After three answer.  I called Jeremy to update him, and he informed me that Mia was throwing up, and Ross had diarrhea.    Oh no!This wasn't blood sugar!  I obviously had some sort of stomach bug! 

I immediately knew I had to get out of there before I got every single person in the room sick.  I said a very quick goodbye, and walked to my car at the back of the parking lot.  I got in and called Sally one last time.  Even if she wasn't home, I was going to drive to her house, let myself in, and pass out in the guest room.    She answered, but before I could completely explain what was going on, I had to throw open my car door and "shower" the parking lot.  I was absolutely embarrassed, but felt too awful to fully care.  I apologized to Sally between heaves, and hung up on her.  Then, just as before, I felt better.  When I called Sally again, she offered to let me spend the night, or drive me home. I chose the latter.  I drove to Sally's house where she was waiting with a hair clip for me, a wet washcloth, and a lined bucket for the drive home.

When we pulled up to the house, all I could think about was changing and passing out.  Jeremy was upstairs with Mia, and looked pretty tired. I was impressed that he hadn't called me to tell me the kids were sick.  He was going to deal with it solo.  I wanted to help out, but stood in the living room too weak to go upstairs.  Luckily, Sally volunteered to sleep with Mia to take care of her, and Jeremy slept on the couch to avoid my germs and dealt with Ross throughout the night. 

The next day was a lazy day of recovery for everyone.  Sally was sick by Tuesday, but Jeremy is still standing strong.  Let's hope it stays that way!

Thank you so much, Sally and Jer!


Cyndi Hendrickson said...

That sounds pretty awful! I can't believe you didn't tell me any of this! Thank goodness for Jeremy and Sally. I love it that she had a washcloth and plastic-lined bin waiting for you. Awesome! Glad you feel better!

A Goldsworthy Note said...

Yuck!!!! You're lucky Sally answered. I'm happy y'all are feeling better and I'm hadppy I wasn't visiting!!! Haha. Seriously, I've only had two stomach bugs and both times I got it from your lovely family that is so great at sharing :0). Hopefully you got something out of the cooking show. Oh, and way to go Jeremy!